Don't wanna remove diald but apt wants to

I'd like to bring my system up to the current potato level but if I do
this, it will remove diald.  Observe...

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  diald netstd
  bootpc cfingerd debconf finger fping icmpinfo lockfile-progs rdate
rdist
  rsh-client ruptime rusers rwall rwho rwhod tftp traceroute vflib2
The following packages have been kept back
  lesstif-bin netatalk
123 packages upgraded, 18 newly installed, 2 to remove and 2 not
upgraded.

Apparently, netstd has to go away but diald depends on it. Is there
any way around this? I assume that I'm not the only one who really
needs diald.

-- Mark Zimmerman