Re: PPP to ISP -Freeserve UK == cack

On 11 Nov 1999, Stephen.Murphy@aspex.co.uk wrote:
> My Debian box is now connected - and surprise, surprise , there was
> nothing wrong with it.
>
> The problem was with Freeserve (UK) - who don't seem to accomodate
> Linux at all. Couldn't ping, nslookup didn't work, mozilla didn't
> work. Only question is how Micro$oft crap works on it.
>
> Anyway I have connected to demon.co.uk no problem - thanks to Paul at
> Motorola for that tip - 10 pound/ month small price to pay. Everything
> works as expected.
>
> Maybe nice to keep a page to "name and shame" companies who discriminate
> against Linux users , whether intentionally or not.
>
> Thanks to everyone for your help.

I'm rather surprised to hear this. I've been using Freeserve for several
months now and have had no problems connecting via Linux Debian. In fact
I've gone the other way from you; I was a faithful Demon customer for
about 5 years but recently came to the conclusion that there was no
point in paying them 11.75 (not 10 UKP) a month for what I could find
equally well elsewhere. I didn't like the atmosphere of Demon after it
was sold to Scottish Telecom or Thus or whatever they call themselves
now.

BTW Demon don't really support Linux any more than Freeserve do. If ever
you phone Demon help line and tell them you're using Linux you'll be
greeted with a pretty blank wall of ignorance.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)