scsi boot install: similar problems...

Hello all,

I am new to this list, so please bear with me if this has been said/asked
before (I tried searching the web archives of the list but found virtually
no relevant info)

I seem to be having similar install problems to Marek Andricik here.. in
that I can't install debian on a system that has a scsi controller and
scsi disks(no ide disks) (I dont know what Marek's problem was, aside from
troubles with an adaptec controller.  I had similar problems in the
past(but never fixed them))

I have an advansys isa scsi card, with bios.  I am trying to install
debian slink on it, but every time I boot the boot floppy I get to the
point where it detects the scsi card, then the drives(just fine, and very
quickly).  It then gives me many scsi errors, and complains about not
being able to read info from the drives(the drives are good, ive used both
drives for 1-2+ years each, with win95/98, beos, redhat linux (and even
debian linux if this darn thing wouold work))

Am I going to have to recompile the kernel/make a new boot disk to get
this to work?  I am pretty certain this is within my ability to do so,
I've been using linux for approx. 4 years or so.  I just hope I dont have
to, and according to the debian install docs I shouldn't have
to("...support for most scsi cards has been compiled into the installation
kernel...")

thanks in advance for any help you all can give me,
Josh Duncan
(please reply to josh_duncan@tayloru.edu as well as to the list)