Re: 14.4kbps PPP link?

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Brian May wrote:

bam >Anyone got any suggestions how to fix this problem? I have tcpdumped my
bam >side of the connection, and the problem seems to be my computer waiting
bam >ages for remote data.
bam >
bam >This problem is driving me up the wall - as I have 14.4kbps, I feel
bam >that I should be able to get close to 14.4kbps...
bam >

next time it happens run a traceroute ..if it is timing out while in route
to the site..then the isp/routers are havin trouble if you get time outs
at hop 1 chances are your connection is screwed.  id also suggest an
upgrade to a faster modem :) a good 56k pci/isa modem can be had for about
$35 ..even if your lines dont support 56k you can at least do 28.8/33.6
..you might try different INIT strings too ..the one i use for my 56k
modem is about 50 characters long :/ i programmed it into the ROM now tho
so when i hit ATZ it uses that string.

nate