14.4kbps PPP link?

On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 05:12:41AM +0000, John Hasler wrote:
> > apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Over a 28.8 dialup?  ROTFL.

I do it over 14.4 kbs...

(sorry I couldn't resist).

Of course, it would be nice if transfer rates would maintain 14.4kbs,
but something seems to be wrong with my PPP (or ISPs) setup. The modem
is often idle with nothing being transferred - so the transfer rate
(according to apt-get drops to below 300 bytes/second).

Anyone got any suggestions how to fix this problem? I have tcpdumped my
side of the connection, and the problem seems to be my computer waiting
ages for remote data.

This problem is driving me up the wall - as I have 14.4kbps, I feel
that I should be able to get close to 14.4kbps...

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>