Re: New release over due

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> Noah L. Meyerhans writes:
> > You know, you had merely to ask on the list about making your
> > installation of debian less out-dated.
>
> I believe he made it quite clear that he can't get past the Debian spam
> filters.
>
> > apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Over a 28.8 dialup?  ROTFL.

ROTFL to you! I do it with a 14.4K modem... and only by night.
apt-get -d dist-upgrade does a great work to let you upgrade
your distribution in multiple chunks. The http protocol, as implement
in atp, can continue old download so even big package can be download
this way.

> > simply add deb http://www.us.debian.org/~vincent/ unstable main to your
> > apt-sources file.
>
> And add another ten or so hours of connect time for which he no doubt pays
> by the minute.

That's why I download by night [which cost nothing here]. However, the lists
suggests aren't update often. So it's not a big deal once the download is
made.

> > I suggest you try updating your Debian system before you label it as
> > out-dated.
>
> Are you volunteering to send him a CD?

Should I say that I understand your concern. I really like the partial
update of slink (like Debian-In-A-Box and others), the Release Manager
should make such update regularly. Especially for important packages
like X. This should make the move for a new complete Release more
easy.