Can I build a kernel with builtin IMM (ZIP DRIVE) support?

Hello,

A while back, I was unable to get my ZIP dribe to work with the
PPA support, but IMM support allowed it to work.  This IMM support
is in a loadable module.  I have been reading the Zip_Install howto,
in preparation to try to get a Linux system built on a ZIP disk, to
allow me to perform a restore (using taper) of my main system as
a backup strategy.

I'm wondering if it is possible to build this IMM module into the
kernel, and if so, how.  The howto also specifies that a bzimage
must be created, not a zimage.  I have never been able to get a
bzdisk to work on by Thinkpad 560, and was told that others have
only been able get zdisks to work.

I'm hoping there are no technical reasons preventing me from creating
such a system on a zip disk, booted from floppy of course.

Any advice, or information welcome,

John