Re: /usr/src and file permissions

Quoting David J. Kanter (djkanter@nwu.edu):
> I've created/moved my /usr/src to its own partition. However, I've noticed a
> difference in the permissions between the old /usr/src (/usr/oldsrc) and the
> new one, /usr/src.
>
> drwxrwsr-x    4 root     src          1024 Oct 16 00:18 oldsrc
> drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root         1024 Nov 14 12:33 src
>
> Could someone explain the difference? I tried setting chmod g=+r+w+s
> /usr/src, but that apparently didn't work.

If you need to chown or chgrp, I would do that first. I'm not sure
of the rules, but sometimes permissions can change when you change
ownership.

But you need "chmod g+rwxs src" to get the same as oldsrc. If you
leave out the x, you'll get rwS which is setgid but not execute
(even if it was already execute).

I'm assuming that your listing was taken *before* you tried chmod.
If that's not the case, I can't explain why src isn't group write
after chmod g=+r+w+s /usr/src as there should be an error message
if chmod fails.

Cheers,