Re: New release over due

You know, you had merely to ask on the list about making your installation
of debian less out-dated.  We would have told you the following:
Add the following lines to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable updates
deb http://ftp.netgod.net/ x/
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/

Then run:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Suddenly you'll find yourself running the latest releases of X, all the
latest security updates, upgraded versions of numerous
packages.  You'll also have loads of new packages available to you.  If
you're interested in running the latest GNOME packages, known as "October
GNOME", simply add
deb http://www.us.debian.org/~vincent/ unstable main
to your apt-sources file.

There is no reason at all to drop Debian right now.  Development is very
active, and the stable release (slink) is being maintained.

The Debian release philosophy of not releasing a version until it is
actually finished, tested, and rock-solid has many more pros than
cons.  When potato is released, it will be the best Linux distribution
available, whether it's running the bleeding edge version of each and
every software package out there or not.  The developers are very
competant and motivated, and will not leave the users stranded.  A lot of
work was put in to the updates I mentioned above, both officially and
unofficially.  I suggest you try updating your Debian system before you
label it as out-dated.

noah