Re: telnet to debian

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Sam Babak wrote:

> I was given a job to administer sendmail v8.7 on Debian/Linux and I am
> new to Linux.

wow , great! In everybody's opinion , if you're new to linux , stick to
redhat for awhile...and then try debian ... but looks like you're like me
;-)

> location.  When I telnet to the Linux machine in order to add email
> accounts,  I get connected and it tells me that I have new mail and it
> disconnect.

No Idea why that is happening...someone else might help you out.

>  I know that  first I have to login as a user and then use su to change
>to the root.

Apparently you have root access ... so tell you what... do not use telnet
, but use a 'secure shell distribution' - search for sshd on
http://www.freshmeat.net/ and download and install the latest tarball(s).
You should be running the sshd on the remote box - which you can do via
your telnet connection and then install ssh on your box too ... and run
the client and hit $ ssh host instead of $ ssh host . login as normal user
and su to root... The advantage is that sshd uses encryption as against
telnet , so even if someone was listening , it would be tougher for them
to get passwords etc.

I know that I really haven't addressed your queries about how to fix
sendmail on debian etc.. well I'm sorry 'bout that... but You did learn
about ssh now ;)

Cheers.

- Ravi.