I have broken dselect.....Hlp plz

    I have done interesting things.....I was running
potato before it was frozen and, after hearing of a
freeze, went to ftp.debian.org to get the latest
updates. I was using dselect and selected all packages
from the availability list. I removed the recommended
removal or hold packages and went to install. After it
had downloaded the packages it went to install it
delivered me this message:

>100% [Scanning Packages]
>Configuring packages ...
>Syntax error: no argument at /tmp/fileBesgE2 line
224.
>E: Sub-process dpkg-preconfig --apt retunred error
code (2)
>E: Failure running script dpkg-preconfig --apt

>Some failures occurred while........etc.

>installation script returned error exit status 100

Line 224 of /tmp/fileBasgE2 is:
die "Sytax error: no argument" if ($#ARGV , 0);
(It's in the "generic" part)
   I know that I have done this but I'm not exactly
sure how. Any help or comments would be appreciated.
                                     T. Stetson

=====
Why?  Why not?  Why not try?
The rule of an inquisitive mind.