AWE-soundcard problem (potato)

Hi

Yesterday I decided to upgrade one of my Slink machines to Potato to see how
it works. Except for a minor problem whith a package it all worked out well, I
thought... After upgrading I decided to listen to some mp3 and then my
problems startet. First I had to learn that you are no longer able to set
parameters in modules.conf. After outcommenting those modprobe worked again.
Next I found out that somehow the irq had been set to 7 and not 5 as before.
matter. So I decided to try modconf. After that at modprobe -c showed:
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
which is correct for my AWE64 card. Well when I load the module and afterwards
start mpg123 dmesg will (still) show me:
Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
furthermore when I try to do a 'cat /dev/sndstat' I get
cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device
'ls -la /dev/sndstat' shows
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   6 Aug  6 15:48 /dev/sndstat

So I'm totaly bewildered. I have been using kernel 2.2.13 all the time. Only
thing I did was to do a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and now everything seems to
totaly broken whith my soundcard. I have been reading in sound.c but it seems
to load the parameters for irq and dma when it gets loaded. I did notice one
thing. Some people at Redhat had modified the original source. This was signed
by Alan Cox.

Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix this?
--
Sven Esbjerg
http://www.dina.dk/~joker