Re: Gnome

Hello Eric!

Am 10-Nov-99 schriebst Du:

> On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 08:53:10PM +0200, Andreas Meyer wrote:
>> Hello all!
>>
>> After installing Gnome with all dependencies and the
>> xserver-fbdev3.3.2.3a-11.deb and doing a 'panel' I get a "Gdk-warning:
>> Can´t open display". Same with 'gnome &panel'.
>
> I you have a video card that can be accelerated under one of the other X
> servers (like SVGA) I'd use that. Last I looked, the fbdev X server
> didn't do accelleration, which really dogs the system.

Hm, if I only knew whether my PiccololSD64 supports SVGA or VGA. This
drivers are aktivated in the XF86Config. The display I get in X or gnome is
fine, of course.

> Shouldn't that line be:
> panel &

Yes, now I know.

> But, you need to do 'gnome-name-service &' first.
>
> You weren't trying to do that from an su'ed terminal, now were you?

No, when I type this in a shell I get a "unknown command".

But I must say Gnome is starting now. I realized that there was the
XF86setup missing. After installing it, or was it xbase-client?, the whole
thing started to run.

Meanwhile I have added three "main menus" to the panel and I don´t know how
to remove two of them ;-) I only find "Add"-buttons in Gnome.

> Try a .xinitrc (.xsession) like:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xterm &
> esd &
> gnome-name-service &
> panel &
> exec icewm
>
> You can set-up all the gnome stuff and use the session manager from the
> panel. Then you can change .xinitrc (--> .xsession) to

Will try this.

> #!/bin/sh

Dont know what this means.

> exec gnome-session

Thanks a lot to everybody who helped me with this.

Are there applications like an emailer, browser and others aspecially for
Gnome?

Regards

--

-- Andreas Meyer --