Re: Seperate DEB package for pico

Here's how I understand the license.  It forbids distribution of binaries
made from modified sources unless permission is given by the University of
Washington.  That makes it ineligible for inclusion in non-free because
Debian won't distribute things that are only available because of special
cases like that.  But everybody that's ever asked for permission to
distribute a modified binary patch has gotten it.  I don't know if the guy
who actually put the packages together asked for permission, but there
have been UW approved unofficial Pine packages in the past.

So, I think the license forbids its inclusion in non-free simply because
of Debian's political stance.  I guess there's not much we can do about
it.  The Debian policy makes sense, and is probably legally necessary in
order to allow people to re-distribute Debian.  The UW license doesn't
make sense to us, but it doesn't look like UW will change it.

So, I'm sure the unofficial Debian packages that I'm mirroring are fine
and will not get us (me) into trouble.  8^)

noah

  PGP Public Key available at http://www.morgul.net/~frodo/mail.html
  or by `finger -l frodo@morgul.net`