Re: apt-get

> I've updated slink to potato one month ago or so. In general apt-get did
> its job very smothly, only a couple of packages (not more than 10) made
> some configuration problems, and due to this sometimes the
> dist-upgrade prcess got interupted, and had do be started again (after the
> problem was solved). But got through it without any big problem. After
> upgrading to potato the system runs as stable as slink did. The dayly
> upgrades I do go mostly smoth, too.

And just how does apt (or apt-get) work for upgrading from slink to
potato? (I'm not trying to be lazy here, I do read the manual pages for
apt-get and sources.list, but I'd like to get some help from someone who
has already experienced it ... BTW, should there be an apt command and
an apt manpage?  I just have apt-get and apt-cache).

Recently I did a manual upgrade (ftp download + dpkg upgrade), but my machine
broke;  I started to get glibc related errors and others, but what finally
broke was my motherboard.  I changed the m'board and processor (pentium 120 to
AMD K6-2), and tried to restore the system, but too many bits and pieces
seemed to be missing, broken or corrupted.  I had to reinstall Slink.

Dependencies, pre-dependencies, and interdependencies are just a bit too
hard to deal with for a major upgrade, so I'd like to give apt a try, at
least for a partial upgrade (a total upgrade is just too expensive
except for USers).  I attach a file with the packages I want to upgrade
(based on my previous attempt);  could anyone tell me how to do this
with apt or apt-get?

TIA

--
Horacio					Anno MMDCCLII ad Urbe condita
mailto:homega@ciberia.es