Re: Problems printing from one box to another

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 12:48:47PM +0100, Cecile Hebert wrote
> On 5 Nov 1999, Alec Smith wrote:
>
> > In the past I've been able to print from one Debian 2.1 box to another
> > Debian 2.1 box without difficulty. However I recently reinstalled
> > Debian 2.1 on the server machine, and can't do any printing from
> > remote machines unless I'm using Samba. I'd like to know what's going on
> > so I can get back to a "normal" configuration involving just lpr/lpd.
>
> I've exactly the same problem and I am quite deseperated.
>
> Only users who have an account on the debian machine hosting the printer
> can print on it. I've checked that the host wanting to print are
> correctly listed in /etc/hosts.equiv and /etc/hosts.lpd
>
> Those files should only contains a list of all hosts wanting to print,
> one oht per line, isn't it ???

If you are using the "lprng" package you should also look at
/etc/lpd.perms, which allows many access control options,
including requiring users to have accounts on the print server.
man 5 lpd.perms for details.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au