Re: CVS repository directory

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Lyno Sullivan wrote:

> Last night when I was installing Slink it asked me to name the directory
> for my cvs repository.  I hunted all over debiag.org but found no guidance.
>  I did a Altavista web search and found no guidance.  I finally named
> /var/cvsroot.  What should I have said?

Well, you could say almost anything. The directory that it is asking for
is the root directory of the source directory trees of any source code (or
other things) you are maintaining locally on your machine under
configuration control using cvs. The guidance you seek is in the cvs
documentation which is in 'info' format. I access this using emacs but
there is a standalone info program to do the same. This should have been
automatically installed when cvs was installed.

Personally I use /usr/local/cvsroot as the root directory of my cvs
repository, but I think the choice depends on the local situation and
there are many answers that are 'right'.

Steve Witt                                    Raytheon Company
Network Technology and Systems Group          1901 West Malvern Ave
(714) 732-0161                                Fullerton, CA  92834