fixing dir file

I was reading through the postinstall scripts for dpkg and noticed it
appears to have a way to fix the /usr/info/dir file.  Is there a way to
get dpkg to fix this file?  It appears to have gotten corrupted somehow
and I now can't install some programs because install-info can't lock the
dir file for editing.  Anyone know how to fix this?

								Rob

ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu   1999-00 |
Aka Khyron the Backstabber          |       L    I  NN N  U U  X X  O
ICQ# 2325055                        |       L    I  N NN  U U   X
                                    |       LLL  I  N  N  UUU  X X  O
"Shackles cannot keep me bound      |          Those who can, do.
 forever.  I'm outta here."         |