Re: hangs during boot and shutdown - frustrated new Debian user...

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 05:15:05AM -0800, Andy . wrote:
> I just installed Debian 2.1
>
> After it completed the 1st part of the install when it reboots to complete
> the process an install the packeges it seem to hang.
>
> The last message it says during the boot up process is...
>
> mounted local file systems...
> not mounted anything
1.  If your entire installation is on one partition under "/", then this
may not be the problem.

2. If your debian installation is split across several partitions, like
"/", "/usr", "/home", then I'd guess your /etc/fstab needs editing.

3. Are you mounting any network shares at boot?

> If I hit control-c I can get by it and then the next line that comes up says
> somthing about cleaning /tmp /var.....
It's typical to clean out old cruft from /tmp and possibly /var/tmp on
reboot -- shouldn't be an issue.

> Also if once I'm logged in I attemp to shutdown or reboot is seem to hang
> here as well.
Probably related to above...but an umount problem this time.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |