Re: emacs and word processing

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Philip Lehman wrote:

> Recently, I started using XEmacs to edit LaTeX files. The LaTeX mode
> is nice, but some features related to word processing still pose
> some problems to me:
>
> (1) ...actually not an emacs issue, but anyway: spell checking with
> ispell under emacs works (sort of), but ispell doesn't recognize 8-bit
> characters. Same problem with running ispell from the command line,
> but I can't find anything in the docs (only an option to force 7-bit,
> which is not quite what I'm looking for). So how do I make ispell
> process 8-bit input?

I use ispell from the command line to do this and it works also with 8-bit
characters.  I cannot tell you why, unfortunately. I am also a bit
frustrated by emacs/xemacs because I cannot use the Afrikaans ispell
dictionary I have built up when I am in emacs.  I can use it from Lyx
though and it works well.

Actually I like Lyx's spell checker options a lot more than emacs'.  In
Lyx I just specify the language of the document.

> (2) Emacs' flyspell-mode has support for English, but I need spell
> checking for English, German, and French. Is this a built-in facility
> or is it accomplished by ispell as well? And how do I get additional
> language support? I'm not sure if that matters, but I'm using the mule
> binary.

You can do that with Lyx - specifying the document's default language.

 > (3) What about spell checking with multilingual texts, e.g. a
German
> text with quotes in English, French, and Latin? Do I have to do this
> paragraph by paragraph?

I don't think it can be done in emacs or even in Lyx because Lyx does not
allow mid-document changes of the default language - except through Latex
codes.

Johann

| Johann Spies,Windsorlaan 19, Pietermaritzburg, 3201, South Africa        |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za Tel/Faks 033-346-1310 Sel/Cell 082-255-2388      |

     "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory
      through our Lord Jesus Christ."
                              I Corinthians 15:57