Re: Shouldn't debian be configured better by default ?

On 7/11/99 Sami Dalouche wrote:

While I was cleaning my home directory, I saw this program that I compiled.
After that, I launched it and... My X became frozen and then crashed ( I executed the program in an Xterm). I think it's because it used all the memory available...
I don't want to try but what could happen if I'd have run it from a console
? Whould the system crash ?

I find it surprising that this program caused this much damage...

I once tried to crash my Redhat GNU/Linux system with 96MB of real ram and 64MB swap partition, so I had netscape 4.6 go to a keyserver and search for `michael' (which this server will return a couple thousand results in one complicated html page that ends up being about 15MB in size) well after a long time watching netscape bloat up eventually all memory was consumed all swap all real, any attempt to run the smallest of utilities resulted in seg faults...

$ ps
Segmentation fault
:)

all i had to do was (slowly) hit the close box on netscape and it went away and all was well and i kept on adding to a 50+ day uptime iirc.

I think there is a way (or more than one) to be sure a user doesn't crash
the system by using all the memory available.
I've heard a bit about the /etc/limits file but it seems that it's a per
login configuration, which has a lot of disadvantages. I'd like to know if
there is a way to impose GLOBAL/per user limits. If a such {program ;
configuration file } exist, I'd like to know why debian shouldn't be
configured to impose quotas by default. I think it's very disapointing to
let every user crash the system by default :-((

Have you a better idea to avoid this kind of program to crash the system ?

i suspect /etc/limits is obsolete under potato because it uses PAM and there is a pam_limits module that i think takes this over (i have not checked i could be wrong) I have played with pam_limits and it can be made to do what you want, however I am not sure what reasonable values are to set for the various things you can limit with it...

another option is ulimit (bash) which does the same things as pam_limits except its not protected, a user can un ulimit all they want.

what I think would be a good thing is getting the right pam_limit values that are very generous but just enough to keep a single user from crippling the system (and preventing the operator from accessing the root account or using kill ($ kill -- segmentation fault :-) )

i think something like ext2fs' default 5% reserved blocks for root to prevent someone from completely filling a filesystem. somehow keep 5% of memory available for use by root to take care of an obnoxious user (or user accident)

it would be nice to hear from people about what a reasonable limit is for the various limits in pam_limits.

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/