Will Debian work on a passive backplane MoBo?

Well, I work for a company that has been replacing their stock of
passive-backplane-style rack-mount units with standard micro-AT boxen.  I
was supposed to swap out the boards from the cases themselves and replace
them with micro-ATs as well.  However, since much of the peripheral hardware
was stripped out to begin with, we would only be able to fully install a
few.  So, I thought I'd see if I could install Debian on the existing
hardware.

>From what I've been told, the techs had only been able to get Slackware to
run on them when they were in service.  I'd prefer Debian, personally ;-)
Anyway, I havent found any documentation yet, so I don't have much specific
info.  From what I can see on the silkscreening, the backplane is a PICMG
PCI-8S and the motherboard itself has PIA-652D written on a corner, which
looks like a model number (I haven't found any definite brand markings yet).

So, do you all think these will take Debian?  I still need to get a NIC, a
monitor and my Debian CD from home before I can even try to do anything with
'em anyway, so there's no big rush.

Well, back to work.

Bye,

-Chris