Re: ppp problem with 2.2.X kernel; ok with 2.0.36

*- On  9 Nov, mheyes@lincolnfp.com wrote about "ppp problem with 2.2.X kernel; ok with 2.0.36"

> I had a slink system with 2.0.36 kernel, and wanted to update to 2.2.X kernel. I
> updated the suggested packages listed on the debian page that discussed known
> issues, and then updated the kernel. No problems with that. Netscape seemed to
> work ok, but when I tried to download any packages, it would only download a
> small amount of data and stall. I thought it might be a problem with packets not
> clearing.
>
> So, since that page said all these problems were cleared up in unstable, I
> upgraded to potato with "apt-get dist-upgrade". Same problem. But, if I use the
> 2.0.36 kernel, downloads are fine.
>
> I recompiled the 2.2.X kernel to make sure I have ppp support, and couldn't see
> anything else that might cause this in the kernel config menu. I'm doing
> something wrong, but what? Ideas / suggestions?

I had similiar problems as well.  Check the debian-user list archives
for other discussions on this topic.  If I recall correctly the thing
that helped me was to simply play around with the mru and mtu options
for pppd.  Currently I have each set at 552.  I think the defaults are
1500.  Unfortunately I can't seem to recall where I got my info on
settings for the mru/mtu values.

HTH,

--
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you