Latest ALSA-source packages don't work

Hello,

There was a recent thread in this list called "Alsa with audiopci1370"
which sort of concludes saying "For some reason /etc/init.d/alsa (start)
was not loading the drivers properly."

I want to add that this also happens with my AW64 sound card.
/etc/init.d/alsa simply doesn't work and I get a "/dev/audio: no such
file or device" message every time I run a sound program even though
/dev/audio is a valid file in the system.

My solution is to take the lines from /etc/modules.conf added by my
alsa-modules deb file (created after compiling the ALSA sources using
make-kpkg) and copy them into /etc/modules. After reboot everything is
ok.

So it seems to me that the module-loading instructions in
/etc/modules.conf is correct but for some reason /etc/init.d/alsa is
buggy. And this happened to me with the last three versions of
ALSA-source uploaded to potato.

--
Pedro I. Sanchez