time and again

Well, there have been a lot of posting regarding resetting time.  It must
be... a sign of the times :).  My own problems are with my potato laptop.
It will not keep GMT time in the cmos and localtime on the system.  It
always gets reset.  I have compiled apm in and out; changed the apm config
option for RTC as UTC and changed the switch in /etc/default/rcS to no
avail.  My desktop runs this way no problems (slink system).  I installed
the deb ntptime package (I think) but it slows the boot process down when I
am not connected to our network.  I see something about a "burst" switch
though that maybe I should try.  I do travel about 50% with my laptop
unconnected to a network.

I gather overall that hardware clocks are not that terribly accurate and
that people are more concerned with setting system clocks accurately.  A
colleague has a potato laptop; same brand.  IT works fine with cmos set to
UTC.

Since I cannot seem to master the UTC in cmos issue, is there a way to make
ntptime a little more forgiving when there is no network connection?  I live
in California so its nice to have the system manage PST/PDT changes.

--
Michael Perry
mperry@tsoft.com