Re: AHA2940U2W...

This is an old bug in slink. There are boot floppies for
the AHA 2940 U2W someware. Look in the mail archives.

Regards,

Onno

At 03:33 PM 11/6/99 -0500, Daniel Ferrante wrote:

        Hi Folks,

        Is it possible for someone to give me a help with this issue? I am
trying to install Debian 2.1 in my machine, but I am getting a hang right
after th CD boots...

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Nick Phillips wrote:

> >     I am trying to install Debian 2.1 in my computer. I have an
> > Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host adapter and Linux is hanging right after
> > detecting it...
> >
> >     Any help?!
>
> It's been a while, but so far as I remember, the 2940U2W (AIC7890) is not
> supported by the drivers in slink (slink is about the same age as the
> AIC7890, give or take), and you'll either need to build a kernel either with
> the 7890 drivers patched in, or get one recent enough to support it without
> patching.
>
> Unfortunately this makes booting from the slink CD rather difficult. When
> I did it, I installed onto an IDE disk, built a kernel to suit the 7890,
> used cpio to copy the system over onto the SCSI drive, set LILO up, and
> finally removed the IDE drive. If you can't manage it any other way, I'm
> sure someone will be able to send you a boot floppy or two...
>
> If anyone else has any better ideas...

        Could somebody help me with the kernel! I don't have any means to
install another HD and I don't have access to any Linux box around here
(I'm pretty isolated... surronded by WinBlows...)

        If someone could send me the boot floppies I'd be happy to send
them back as soon as I finish the installation, otherwise, one can attach
the files that I need to rawrite to the floppies.

        Thanks in advance,

                        Cheers,

                                Daniel.

Daniel Doro Ferrante              email: ferrante@barus.physics.brown.edu
Network & System Manager          http://latt.if.usp.br/~danieldf
& WebMaster
                Physics Graduate Student - Brown University
        Course of Molecular Sciences - USP: http://www.cecm.usp.br