Ok... I hate dselect. How can I fix this?

I remeber haveing heard something about timezone being an obselete
package, but i wasn't sure.  So, I stumbled upon it while looking for
netdate, which disappeared, and I thought I could check to see if it was
no longer used by selecting it and seeing what it said.  Well, it said
it conflicted with A TON of stuff, all of which is dselected for me.
Well, I resized the eterm so I could get a bigger view of what it was
doing, and dselect crashed.  So when I went back in, just about every
package on my computer was marked for removal.  I went though all 500 or
so packages and re-selected the packages so it wouldn't delete them, but
now I still get errors, and it doesn't seem to advance at all.  Things
are breaking now, (windowmaker now segfaults due to gaim sometimes, and
irssi segfaults) and I just want things back the way the were.  Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  anacron asmail cdrdao cdwrite ctwm dotfile-ipfwadm dotfile-procmail
dxpc elm-me+ epic floatbg
  fmirror fvwm95 gaim gcal ical icewm irssi* joe lftp lha mirrordir mtr
rsh-client rsync ruari-diff
  rxvt sendfile signify sigrot the tkmail tkrat tkstep8.0* trn urlview
uudeview vim vim-rt vrweb
  vtwm wget wm2 wmload wmmail wmnet worklog xbanner xbuffy xcal xcoral
xmotd xodo xserver-svga
  xserver-vga16 xspread xtv xview-clients xviewg xvt xzoom zed zile
  expect5.31 tkstep4.2
6 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 63 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0B/3032kB of archives. After unpacking 38.9MB will be freed.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
100% [Scanning packages]
(Reading database ... 37920 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace eterm 0.8.9-11 (using .../eterm_0.8.10-1_i386.deb)
Checking available versions of eterm-pixmaps, updating links in
/etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Leaving eterm-pixmaps (/usr/share/Eterm/pix/pixmaps.list) pointing to
/usr/share/Eterm/pix/pixmaps.list.eterm-backgrounds.
Checking available versions of x-terminal-emulator, updating links in
/etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Leaving x-terminal-emulator (/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator) pointing to
/usr/bin/X11/xterm.
Leaving x-terminal-emulator.1.gz
(/usr/man/man1/x-terminal-emulator.1.gz) pointing to
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/xterm.1x.gz.
Unpacking replacement eterm ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/eterm_0.8.10-1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/Eterm/pix/40.png', which is also in
package eterm-backgrounds
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Checking available versions of eterm-pixmaps, updating links in
/etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Leaving eterm-pixmaps (/usr/share/Eterm/pix/pixmaps.list) pointing to
/usr/share/Eterm/pix/pixmaps.list.eterm-backgrounds.
Checking available versions of x-terminal-emulator, updating links in
/etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Leaving x-terminal-emulator (/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator) pointing to
/usr/bin/X11/xterm.
Leaving x-terminal-emulator.1.gz
(/usr/man/man1/x-terminal-emulator.1.gz) pointing to
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/xterm.1x.gz.
cannot open dhelp file '/usr/doc/eterm/.dhelp': at
/usr/sbin/install-docs line 559.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 /var/cache/apt/archives/eterm_0.8.10-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process returned an error code (1)
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall
again
Press enter to continue.

Setting up eterm (0.8.9-11) ...
Checking available versions of eterm-pixmaps, updating links in
/etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Leaving eterm-pixmaps (/usr/share/Eterm/pix/pixmaps.list) pointing to
/usr/share/Eterm/pix/pixmaps.list.eterm-backgrounds.
Checking available versions of x-terminal-emulator, updating links in
/etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Leaving x-terminal-emulator (/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator) pointing to
/usr/bin/X11/xterm.
Leaving x-terminal-emulator.1.gz
(/usr/man/man1/x-terminal-emulator.1.gz) pointing to
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/xterm.1x.gz.
installation script returned error exit status 100.
Press RETURN to continue.