Re: Help: dhcp client problems

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> > Several times in the last little while, Netscape and ping have had problems,
> > either hanging or responding with Unknown.  I then booted up in Windows95,
> > and no problem.   Then returning to Debian (1.3.1 still!) and the problem is
> > solved.  I am on @HOME cable. They tell me that their modem is in  constant
> > communication with the software  and that the Windows DHCP module is
> > effectively reseting the modem.  Apparently my DHCP client is periodically
> > failing. They say that some RH installs also have this problem ( this is why they
> > don't support Linux).
>
> That's because RH has a really crappy DHCP client.  @home isn't the only
> people who have DHCP problems with Linux; most distributions make a really
> poor choice as to which client to include.
>
> Incidentally, it sounds like the DHCP client isn't renewing the
> lease.  What happens when you do that manually, and does it happen
> regularly (ie every x hours on the dot)?

Even though I am not actually answering the original question, I thought
it would be appropriate to send a message warning that any USWest.net DSL
user may experience a similar problem with their Cisco 675 doing NAT.
However, the fix is relatively easy here: either try a different version
of the DHCP client, or configure your computer for a static private IP
(i.e., 10.0.0.3 or 10.0.0.4) which will work because they are doing NAT
over PPP.

Just my two cents, especially since I know many of their users are calling
tech support and not always getting help because they do not support
Linux.

Nitebirdz