question about "downgrading" with dselect

I have manually installed the newest version of gaim, via rpm and
alien.  This is version is 0.9.10.  The version in dselect is 0.9.9.
Dselect thinks its version is newer, but it isn't.  So each time
I upgrade anything, it upgrades, well, downgrades my gaim.  How do I fix
this?  Can I manually edit something in the gaim 0.9.10 deb to make it
appear newer?  it has to do with a 0: vs a 1: in the version number, but
I can't figure out anything more.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu