Re: Compiling ATA/66 support into the kernel?

Ookhoi <ookhoi@dds.nl> wrote:
> I installed Debian with the new bootfloppies on the HPT366 controller.
> You just open the second virtual console, fdisk the /dev/hde, mkfs it,
> and mount the partitions. Then go back to console 1, choose unmount, say
> cancel there (you see them mounted) and you can go on with the install. Why
> don't the boot floppies support /dev/hde and up?

I certainly do not know why, but the bootdisk on the 2.1_r3 i386 CD
does not come with /dev/hde (or any other IDE disk devices after that).
MAKEDEV is also unavailable, so there is virtually no way to have the
system installed like that.

So what is the story about your new boot floppies?

-- Chuan-kai Lin