Re: read-only file system

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

> Actually, I would encourage you to keep this ro.  There's typically
> no reason to write into /usr except when installing new
> packages.  This provides some extra security and system consistency.

BTW, apt-get can be configured to automaticaly remount the /usr partition
rw or ro bevor and after the instalation ... see
/usr/doc/apt/examples/apt.conf.gz (at least the version shiping in
potato).

Martin

--
          Linux, because I'd like to *get there* today

For public PGP-key: finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de