Re: Compiling ATA/66 support into the kernel?

> >> use 2.3.x kernel for ata/66
> > Does it support booting off a ata/66 drive?  The patches for 2.2.13 say
> > that booting off of ata/66 drive is not supported.
>
> The driver author made a mistake.  You can boot off drives connected to
> the HPT366 controller.  Take a look here:
>
>   http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt366/
>
> However I still suggest you connect your disk to the UDMA/33 channels
> for the time being, because /dev/hde to /dev/hdh do not exist on the
> boot floppies, thus there will be no easy way installing Debian on to
> a disk on HPT366.

I installed Debian with the new bootfloppies on the HPT366 controller.
You just open the second virtual console, fdisk the /dev/hde, mkfs it,
and mount the partitions. Then go back to console 1, choose unmount, say
cancel there (you see them mounted) and you can go on with the install. Why
don't the boot floppies support /dev/hde and up?

		Ookhoi