system fubar after attempted upgrade to unstable, what now?

Like the idiot that I am, I didn't read things beforehand since I hadn't
heard any buzz about not using dselect, and I know people who are using
unstable happily.  So I pointed the ftp upgrad option to unstable,
downloaded everything, tried to install it, and apparently really screwed
things up badly.  dselect was having all kinds of pre-depend
errors and eventually gave up saying there had been too many
errors.  Basicly, almost nothing runs on my system, not pon, not X,
etc, they all die with seg faults or the like.  dselect does run, but when
I try to do install again in the hope of getting whatever library I need,
I get the following (hand transcribed) error:

can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/
5.004 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/local/lib/site-perl/i386-linux
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/lib/dpkg//methods/ftp/install line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/dkpg//methods/ftp/install
line 10.  Installation script returned error exit status 2.

which I suppose means my perl is screwed up.

What should I do first to try to fix my system?

Britton