Re: y2k hardware checking software for linux ?

aphro writes:
> also, what are the chances that software on the system will check the
> date from the hardware clock and not the software clock (hwclock as
> opposed to date).

Zero.

> i don't want to feel rushed to shut down the main server if the danger is
> not that great.

It isn't.  Linux only reads the hardware clock at boot (and when you tell
it to by running hwclock), and will almost certainly be able to figure out
the correct date even if the hardware clock does become confused.

> I can't find any info on exactly what the problem is other then the
> boards are Y2K compliant as of bios rev XXXXX.

The "noncompliance" may be something trivial like a setup screen that shows
a two digit year.
john@dhh.gt.org            Do with it what you will.