Re: Printers..

*- On  5 Nov, David Wright wrote about "Re: Printers.."
> Quoting Brian Servis (servis@purdue.edu):
>>
>> A long standing question though is which postscript printer driver to
>> use on the windows machine?  I usally choose an Apple driver since they
>> tend to stick to the true postscript format and don't add proprietary
>> formats like HP sometimes does.  I also select the Archive Format in the
>                                                      --------------
>                              what does that do? ____/

I am not 100% sure but from what I have gathered over the years it makes
the postscript code more portable and turns off lots of the proprietary
code in the postscript.  It may be one of those "it works so why change
it" type of deals.

>> driver. Someone needs to write a GPL'ed ghostscript windows printer
>> driver(maybe it already exists?).
>
> I'm interested in this too, as I have a linux box serving an HP 895
> to an NT box as well as other linuxes. I actually use the HP 895
> driver, but I had to trick NT into install it. What I did was to
> borrow the 895 for NT just to install the HP driver (which insists
> on seeing the printer - I guess it talks back).
>
> After I'd returned the 895 to linux, I set up my default printer on NT
> with some driver already present, and then changed its Properties to
> the HP 895 driver ("keep this version" option).
>
> Are there any advantages in having done this?

Hmmm. I don't recall having this problem when I setup my 660C.  I would
assume that by telling it that it was a network printer it would not try
and establish 2-way communication.  Then again it is Windows so you
can't assume anything in confidence.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.