Re: Printers..

*- On  5 Nov, Andrew Clark wrote about "Printers.."
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good printer?  (I can get a HP
> DJ 550 off my dad, will that work ok with Linux?)

No problem.  Install the gs-aladdin package which is compiled with the
hpdj driver and has a specific driver for the 550 and many other hpdj
printers.

> Also is it possible to set a printer on a Linux box on a LAN and have
> the Win9x/NT machines print on it?  If so is it really hard to setup?

Samba will make this possible.  Just make a local printer available that
passes the print data from the win machines directly to the printer
without using a filter.  That way you can install the printer driver on
the win machines and take full advantage of the native win print
drivers.  Read the SMB-HOWTO and the doc in the samba-doc package.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.