Menus in X Windows

Just how is it that all my window managers can essentially show the same
menu entrues, such as when I click on the root window? For instance, in E I
can click Debian, and I see all the selections that I'd see with Window
Maker, fvwm2, etc.

How does this happen? Is there a central menu file that all the managers can
read? Or is it that the packages are maintained so nicely that part of the
installation is to put menu entries in the appropriate "language" for each
window manager?
--
David J. Kanter
djkanter@nwu.edu

"Humans have an innate tendency to attribute significance to anomalies
and coincidences."
  -- John Allen Paulos, mathematics professor at Temple University