libslang.so and Set locale problems

G'day all,
	When running the post instal scriupts and a few other things I get
the message
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "us"

Now and then I also get an error message that /usr/lib/libslang.so
does not exist, which package is it in? do I need it?
whats the deal?

thanks

  Gareth Walters              gwalters@metz.une.edu.au
      School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
      Animal Science, Agronomy and Soil Science
      The University of New England NSW Australia