SMTP with password on Pine?

Does Pine work with SMTP servers that require login/password?
I'm trying to hook up Pine to an external email service.
So far I can receive messages by downloading them with fetchmail, but I
can't send mail because the SMTP server requires a password and I can't
seem to find anywhere in the Pine config that lets me specify a
username/passwd.

Or perhaps I should just switch to mutt? :-) But mutt is currently
un-installable in potato due to an unmet dependency?

=====
()()
"Don't modify spaghetti code unless you can eat the consequences."
`--'