Re: Another Crazy DNS Question... ;-)

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Art Lemasters wrote:

>      How can I set up two completely different FQDNs (two totally
> different hostnames) on one box (e.g., my.domain.net &

Point both DNS entries at your IP address.  You can only have your IP map
to one of them in reverse DNS, though.  If you absolutely have to have
that, you need to have virtual hosting.

> alsomy.otherdomain.net) so that this machine accepts traffic
> on my.domain.net while appearing to be alsomy.otherdomain.net
> to anyone who accesses it via the webserver or mailserver?  ;-)

You configure this with the webserver and mailserver software.  For the
mailserver it is easy, just put all the domains you want to receive mail
for in sendmail.cw.  If you only want to receive mail for one domain, the
easiest is to set the system's domain name to that and forget about
sendmail.cw.  Of course, if you want to receive mail for both and also
maintain separate lists of users for each domain then you must work
harder.  For the webserver, you can configure virtual hosting in a variety
of ways.  Of course, that's only necessary if you want to do webserving
for both domains.  If you only want to do webserving for one, just pretend
the other one doesn't exist.

>      Do I need to run virtual hosting here?  Will it work to
> point A records from each of those host names to the same,
> single IP address?

Virtual hosting is a nebulous term.

Yes, you can point A records from two domains to the same IP address.