Re: LILO hangs..."LIL-"

*- On  3 Nov, raymond ferrari wrote about "LILO hangs..."LIL-""
> After doing a re-install, LILO hangs at bootup...LIL- is all that comes
> up. I have tried to go into /etc/lilo.conf but it won't let me
> in...permission denied. I am using BootMagic to dual boot and I have no
> problems getting into windows. The first time I did the install I had
> LILO directed to hda6(my ext2 linux partition). Something went wrong
> with the second install. Now that I think about it, I do not remember
> seeing the screen which asked where to put LILO. I completely redid my
> install instead of using already made partitions, however, swap went to
> hda7(like the first install) and Linux went to hda6(like the first
> install). Please tell me what to do. Also, during my setup it
> automatically loaded xwindows instead of giving me a command line. What
> should I do to get to the command line at bootup, instead of having
> windows come up immediately. I guess this happened when I chose the
> dialup machine(games, x, etc.). Thanks for all your help. Ray Ferrari
>

>From /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz under 'LILO start message'

   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.

Did you re-run lilo after you reinstalled?  If not then it thinks your
partitions are in your old setup. So try booting with a floppy and
re-run lilo.

As for the X starting up that is xdm default behavior if it is
installed.  If you don't ever want xdm to start then just remove the xdm
package or you can just delete the rc?.d symlinks with 'update-rc.d -f
xdm remove'.

HTH,

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.