Re: Backup Media

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 02:03:37PM -0000, Bernadette McKevitt wrote:
> I am based in small office with 2 pc's and 1 laptop.  The computers
> are set up on a local network and I am trying to decide which
> backup media device would be best for this office.
>
> Bernie,

Hi Bernie,

Well it depends on your kind of need... ;-))

If its just data, and there's not very much of them, and data are
to be modified very often, use a HD in a drawer or a zip unit,
if there's a great amount of data, use a DAT;
If there's a huge amount of data *and* you need to make 2 or more
backups per day, use a DLT.

Remember that for intensive use, the DAT is quite fragile (PB with
heads azimuts, and load/unload mechanics).

DLT is the best (speed # 12 MB/sec, reliability...), but is very expensive.

HD is fast and inexpensive.

Its very difficult to give you an advice without knowing what you
exactly intend to do.

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>
 The meat is rotten, but the booze is holding out.

Computer translation of "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."