xserver-3dlabs - libc6 (slink vs. potatoe)?

I'm trying to get x configured and I have a Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro
card. This requires xserver-3dlabs_3_3_5-1.deb, but when I downloaded
and tried to install that package, it was not configured due to
dependencies on more recent versions of libc6 and xserver common. These
new versions of libc6 and xserver common appear to be only available in
potatoe, while my base installation is in slink. I'd like advice on the
following questions:

1) If I install the newer versions of libc6 and xserver common, will
this allow for the installation of the 3dlabs package?

2) Is it not a great idea to update the libc6 package, without
installing the rest of potatoe?

3) If this is a bad idea, is there an alternative way for me to get x
configured for this card?

Thanks in advance,

Serge