cannot open tty:

Hi gurus -

For a few days now I get some error message when using pgp. (but I
doubt it's pgp's fault)

[...]
Enter pass phrase: cannot open tty, using stdin

this happens at the (virtual) console as well as in xterms. The
permissions for /dev/ttyp1 (which I ran the above command at)  are:

crw--w----   1 weasel   tty        3,   1 Nov  3 01:56 ttyp1

What could be wrong?

TIA

--
Weasel                         http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~ppalfrad/
PGP encrypted messages prefered.  See my site or finger -l ppalfrad