Re: [root: Cron <root@devil> run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily]

As far as the cnews angle is concerned, this seems to be a
minor misfeature of the cnews package.

The script in /etc/cron.daily/cnews is run as root, and
su's to user 'news' while the current working directory is /root,
resulting in nasty messages.  I have attached my slightly edited
copy of this script, that cd's before the su.  I have version
cr.g7-12 of cnews installed; if you have some other version,
don't simply replace your script with mine unless you're happy that
it's correct.

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 04:26:17AM +0100, Marco Giardini wrote
> ----- Forwarded message from Cron Daemon <root> -----
> how to solve this?
> Thanks
>

> .oesse.
>
> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 06:25:02 +0200
> From: root (Cron Daemon)
> To: root
> Subject: Cron <root@devil> run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
>
> /etc/cron.daily/cnews:
> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> cd_links: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> cd_links: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
> mv: log: No such file or directory
> egrep: log.o: No such file or directory
> log.o: No such file or directory
> /etc/cron.daily/cracklib:
> 45375 45375
> /etc/cron.daily/suidmanager:
> File /usr/lib/emacs/19.34/i386-debian-linux/movemail registered but not installed
> File /usr/lib/emacs/20.3/i386-debian-linux-gnu/movemail registered but not installed
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
> +-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> |m|a|r|c|o| |g|i|a|r|d|i|n|i|

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au

test -f /usr/lib/news/expire/doexpire || exit 0
test -f /usr/lib/news/maint/newsdaily || exit 0
#
# Added 3/11/98 J Pearson, to ensure cwd will be readable when we
# su news
cd /

/bin/su news -c '/usr/lib/news/expire/doexpire; /usr/lib/news/maint/newsdaily'

exit 0