scsi boot install

I'm trying to bring up a Debian system from CDROM.  I have a CDRW that
boots and gets me into the installer.  I get to the "Install Operating
System and Kernel modules" step, I pick "cdrom" and "SCSI" and it claims

"No SCSI adapter was detected, so I cannot access a SCSI CD-ROM
drive...".  I go to a shell and dmesg says

Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.

The drive is a Yamaha SCSI 16x16x4 CDRW.  The controler is an Adaptec
2970UW.  I have booted RH 6.0 using this drive and controler, so
hardware failure odds are low.  Do I have to tell the kernel something
special at the boot: prompt?  I tried various settings of boot: linux
aic7xxx=something, but to no avail.  Please help!  Note that I can't
subscribe to debian-user, so if you could kindly foward replies along
I'd be grateful.  Also if I've addressed this question incorrectly,
please clue me.  Thanks!

--
Joe Miklojcik - NBCS System Programmer - http://oss.rutgers.edu
The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers. --Richard W. Hamming, 1962