Broken ftp; can't purge proftpd

I don't know how long it's been, 'cause I seldom ftp into my box,
but recently I noticed that I can't ftp in anymore.

I suspect there's some sort of conflict between ftpd and proftpd,
so I've tried to "dpkg --purge proftpd" (and "apt-get remove
proftpd") but this results in:

(Reading database ... 36800 files and directories currently
installed.)
Removing proftpd ...
proftpd: no process killed
dpkg: error processing proftpd (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 proftpd

I've tried to "apt-get install proftpd" (and dselect to install
it), but I get:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, proftpd is already the newest version
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.

How do I get rid or reinstall proftp and get my ftp (inbound)
working again?

Thanks!