Re: I messed up my resolution.

On 22/10/99 Brad wrote:

RedHat doesn't start xdm through init either, but uses a script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d. RedHat is set up so that xdm will only start in runlevel
5 (although you could always run it by hand in any runlevel if you felt
like it). The change Onno posted would set the default runlevel from 5 to
3, which would cause a default RedHat setup not to run xdm. The only thing
init has to do with it in either distro is setting the runlevel and
evaluating the proper rc?.d directory based on that.

not unless they changed it for 6.1, my redhat 5.2/6.0 system has a line in inittab that respawns xdm on runlevel 5, there is no initscript for anything related to X, I assure you I did not set it up that way it came that way out of the box.

Depending on how you look at it, either both distros start xdm through
init (because init executes all scripts in the /etc/rc?.d directory) or
they don't (because init doesn't directly spawn the process).

well to pick nits yeah init is doing it one way or another, just debian uses an initscript and redhat spawns it directly with init though an inittab line.

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/