X-window install - newbie

OK - still having fun.  Still finding tons of Linux info that *almost*
answers my questions, but not quite.  C'est la vie...

Installed from floppies, ran dselect, downloaded 30+ megs of stuff -
whatever the defaults were in dselect.  I thought that dselect then
installed all of this stuff, but apparently not. Figured out to:

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/*deb

Which seemed to install all of the downloaded stuff. (then again.
maybe not...)

One of the things in /var/cache/apt/archives/ is

xfree86-common_3.3.2.3a-11.deb

I would have thought using dpkg -i on this would have installed x-
windows, or at least the relevant components.  Seems not to.

I suspect I've missed an obvious step somewhere.  So, can some
kind soul give me the step by step real easy don't assume I know
things list of how to get this thing happening.

(So far I have two sets of instructions how to install X-windows in
Debian, both of which seem to not match what's happening on my
system.)

(Somehow this is still more satisfying than keeping our Windows
systems happy) (I was overjoyed to discover that the up and down
arrow keys would step through all of the recent commands I had
issued, AND let me edit them! - what a wonderful idea!!)

Thanks tons folks!

Barry

Barry Rueger & Victoria Fenner
Bagatelle Communications & Management
22 Ashburn Dr, Nepean ON K2E 6N3    613-274-4441  Phone
http://www.synapse.net/~rueger/     613-274-4442  Fax