Re: backing up a complete Debian GNU/Linux system

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> Gary L. Hennigan wrote:
>
> > David Wright <d.wright@open.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > > The very idea of all one's system software in a set of homogeneous
> > > .deb files is probably foreign to most unix administrators.
> >
> > Only those with "home brew" systems. In institutional settings it's
> > also a matter of wasted time. Why fight with a whole installation
> > procedure when you can simply do:
> >
> > restore /dev/tape /
>
> Sure, but restoring from debs will be pretty easy.
>
> I don't backup system files.  I backup kernels, /etc and
> /var/lib/dpkg/status* files.  I also collect a list of installed
> debs I can reinstall from CD:
>
> # dpkg --get-selections > /backup/debian.selections
>
> Peter

1)
I managed to get an iomega zip-drive working with my slink-system.
Is there an easy way (simple commands) available to back up the whole
debian (~500-600MB) on zip disks for backup?

Another thing:

2)
is it anyhow possible to use a normal tape-recorder (recording walkman) as
a backup tape system?

-hv